Sugar Substitute Toxic to Dogs

SUGAR-~1

In toxicology we say that the dose makes the poison. It should also be emphasized that species makes the toxin as well. People think that because something is safe for humans that it is also safe for their pet.

Though considered safe in humans, Xylitol is very toxic in canines. When ingested by dogs, it can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)  and hepatic necrosis (liver failure). .Xylitol is rapidly absorbed and causes an increase in insulin secretion, which  results in a rapid decline of blood sugar in dogs. Metabolism of Xylitol occurs in the liver, and this may play a role in its toxicity towards this organ.

xylitolXylitol is a sugar substitute that is commonly used as a sweetener in gum, candies, and baked goods. Discovered in the late 19th century, it was used during  World War II, when there was a sucrose (sugar) shortage. Its use gained popularity with the rise of Atkins-like “low-carb” diets. The 5 -carbon sugar alcohol is reported to have less than two-thirds of the calories of most sugars, yet is has a similar sweetness to sugar.

A dog that has consumed Xylitol or products containing this sweetener, might exhibit the signs and symptoms of lethargy, weakness, ataxia, and vomiting. Seizures, coma, and death are also possible. If consumption of Xylitol is known or suspected, immediate hospitalization and treatment with dextrose(type of sugar) intravenously is needed. This is done to establish normal blood-glucose levels. To protect against hepatic injury, treatment with antioxidants are administered along with the dextrose. Liver damage may not always occur.

PV-Xylitol-toxicity

Xylitol has a wide margin of safety in most mammals. It is not toxic to cats, and is actually recommended to be added to cat drinking water to prevent cavities. In fact, Xylitol  is commonly used in human oral care products, such as, toothpaste and mouth-wash. It prevents certain bacterial growth. In doing so , it prevents oral bacteria from producing acids that damage the surfaces of teeth. Although considered safe in humans and particularly beneficial to diabetics, Xylitol is severely toxic, and life-threatening to dogs. Be sure to read labels when giving food stuff to dogs, and even when using household products around them. Some non-edible products used around the home contain Xylitol. Even worse, Xylitol may not be listed as an active ingredient in some products, and it may even be a component of some medications and vitamins.

Advertisements

One thought on “Sugar Substitute Toxic to Dogs

  1. Yes and recent sugar free foods like peanut has been seen in while I’m on ER since most pple assume it’s only in gum and peanut butter is often used to give dogs their medication. Chocolate toxicity depends on weight of pet, amount eaten and type of chocolate. Always phone a vet. ☺

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s